Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for SG-1 spoilers. There are separate categories for Atlantis Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> S10E18 Family Ties, Spoilers
KillerMarv
post Sep 9th 2006, 6:10 PM
Post #1

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,622

The 18th episode has been announced:

General Landry gets a surprise visit from his ex-wife and mother of his daughter, Dr. Carolyn Lam.

They started filming this episode on the 6th of September.

It will be wonderful to finally see something about Landry's and Dr Lam's past. Another one of those episodes with character development. Which makes me even more furious on Sci Fi's decision. We're gonna have a character development episode within the last 3 episodes of the series? unsure.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 9th 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I don't care much for Dr Lam. I don't see the point of an episode like this as she has very little character to begin with. Just focusing on Landry himself would be a better episode IMO.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Sep 10th 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #3

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Sep 10th 2006, 2:27 AM) *

I don't care much for Dr Lam. I don't see the point of an episode like this as she has very little character to begin with. Just focusing on Landry himself would be a better episode IMO.

I agree... Landry's character is full of potential. This episode will focus on both characters, so Hank will be explored and surely we'll find out more about his past. Also, I think that it is the past that needs to be explored to give Dr Lam some character. Also, I hope they found a way to use her more in the show until this episode. It would clearly be a failed "experiment" if they pop her out of her misterious infirmery after they didn't show her for more than a season.
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Sep 11th 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

I wonder how they will 'Stargate-ize' this storyline? by that i mean not have it like a soap opera with all the emotional cr*p that is included with this kinda thing.

B*gger that wasn't as cr*p sounding when i went through it in my head rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Sep 13th 2006, 9:34 AM
Post #5

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

I normally don't mind character development episodes, and usually enjoy them, but as the 18th episode of the season? Thats rediculous! Why would they do that? That actually messes up the lead-up to the season/series finale!
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Sep 13th 2006, 9:52 AM
Post #6

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Sep 13th 2006, 5:34 PM) *

I normally don't mind character development episodes, and usually enjoy them, but as the 18th episode of the season? Thats rediculous! Why would they do that? That actually messes up the lead-up to the season/series finale!

Like you said... You know that this episode was planned and writen before the announcement of cancellation. They decided not to scratch it... They may have a reason for that to. They may not end the Ori story arc afterall.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Sep 13th 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Sep 13th 2006, 10:52 AM) *

Like you said... You know that this episode was planned and writen before the announcement of cancellation. They decided not to scratch it... They may have a reason for that to. They may not end the Ori story arc afterall.

I don't think they are going to wrap up the Ori story arc by the end of the season. They can use that as an "ace up the sleeve" to try to entice Sci Fi or other networks to pick them up to finish the story.

This episode is long overdue, in my opinion. They introduced these characters with virtually no background whatsoever. No character will have longevity without some background information. My $.02...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 13th 2006, 2:19 PM
Post #8

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(ancient01 @ Sep 13th 2006, 5:37 PM) *
I don't think they are going to wrap up the Ori story arc by the end of the season. They can use that as an "ace up the sleeve" to try to entice Sci Fi or other networks to pick them up to finish the story.
As I have said dozens of times in the las few weeks, it isn't down to other networks being interested. There is already interest from a few other networks but the contract MGM has with Sci-Fi says that all new episodes of SG-1 must be aired on Sci-Fi and since Sci-Fi are no longer interested in airing SG-1, we aren't going to see any new episodes for a while, if ever.
+Quote Post
Kalliope
post Sep 13th 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #9

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,547

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Sep 13th 2006, 9:19 PM) *

As I have said dozens of times in the las few weeks, it isn't down to other networks being interested. There is already interest from a few other networks but the contract MGM has with Sci-Fi says that all new episodes of SG-1 must be aired on Sci-Fi and since Sci-Fi are no longer interested in airing SG-1, we aren't going to see any new episodes for a while, if ever.

Unless the show's creators change it's title. I suppose SciFi can't stop them from doing this and continue somewhere else?
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 13th 2006, 2:38 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

The only problem is the contract will no doubt go deeper than to just referring to the title of the show. It will most likely included all characters, places, names, etc. If MGM could have just changed the name of the show, they would have done it by now and announced that there would be another season.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Sep 13th 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #11

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Whenever contract disputes arise, the one solution that always exists is throw money at the problem... Anything is possible.
+Quote Post
OneLoneFan
post Sep 23rd 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #12

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,568

had it occured to anyone else that the whole cancilation<sp> thing with sci-fi might be just a ploy to up ratings and that is why tptb don't seem to care about wasting one of the last 3 episodes on charactor development. Mark my words....by mid summer Sci-fi will most likely announce that they are gonna renew SG-1 for another season so the show can wrap up the ori stroyline and at the end of S11, SciFi will accounce a made for TV movie for SG-1.....hey...this is just my opinion...i might be wrong
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Sep 24th 2006, 8:18 AM
Post #13

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(OneLoneFan @ Sep 24th 2006, 12:13 AM) *

had it occured to anyone else that the whole cancilation<sp> thing with sci-fi might be just a ploy to up ratings and that is why tptb don't seem to care about wasting one of the last 3 episodes on charactor development. Mark my words....by mid summer Sci-fi will most likely announce that they are gonna renew SG-1 for another season so the show can wrap up the ori stroyline and at the end of S11, SciFi will accounce a made for TV movie for SG-1.....hey...this is just my opinion...i might be wrong

Well the thing is that they are fully capable of "wrapping up" the Ori storyline at the end of Season 10, especially now that SG-1 has the sangreal...
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Sep 24th 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(OneLoneFan @ Sep 24th 2006, 12:13 AM) *

I don't think so... First of all, when they anounced the canellation, the second half of the season was already in production. It costs too much money to drop any episodes that are already under way, especially when they know they aren't getting any extra money. I'm sure Sci fi dropped the series becuase it's just getting too expensive to produce. A movie might happen, but I don't see another season. At least not on Sci Fi.
+Quote Post
More Cowbell!
post Sep 25th 2006, 9:37 AM
Post #15

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,532

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Sep 13th 2006, 3:19 PM) *

Aren't we all so happy that Sci-Fi gets to decide to kill SG-1 for everyone? All the more reason to let Sci-Fi know how happy we are by cancelling with them!

BUT, what if there was a third Stargate, this one called SG-1.5 or something (I'm sure the writers could come up with something creative), and say they are given the task to deal with the Ori?

Just an idea.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 25th 2006, 9:43 AM
Post #16

General
Group Icon

If they go down that road then they wouldn't be able to use any of the characters seen in SG-1. If the contract with Sci-Fi had just said that any new episodes of SG-1 have to be shown on Sci-Fi, TPTB would have just changed the name of the show and gone from there. The fact that they didn't shows the contract goes much deeper than just the name of the show. Sci-Fi aren't stupid enough to make a contract that only states SG-1 must be aired on their channel.
+Quote Post
More Cowbell!
post Sep 25th 2006, 9:48 AM
Post #17

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Well I think they are stupid enough to cancel a show that millions of people watch world wide, I'm guessing they get a cut of that, and if they are smart they get a piece of the DVD sales too!

You have to wonder just how smart they are however, because I'm going to be canceling my Sci-Fi subscription!

+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 25th 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #18

General
Group Icon

I don't think Sci-Fi get anything from the DVD sales, the revenue from those go to Sony and MGM.
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Sep 25th 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #19

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Can ou two take the 'SG-1 cancelled' Chat over to the proper thread.
+Quote Post
More Cowbell!
post Sep 25th 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #20

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Sorry Dr. Lee.

Back on topic. It looks like this episode is going to suck. It just doesn't sound interesting to me at all. Hopefully I am proven wrong, but who really cares about the relationship with Lam and Landry? What with the Ori breathing down our throats and all.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Sep 25th 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #21

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(More Cowbell! @ Sep 25th 2006, 11:26 AM) *

Sorry Dr. Lee.

Back on topic. It looks like this episode is going to suck. It just doesn't sound interesting to me at all. Hopefully I am proven wrong, but who really cares about the relationship with Lam and Landry? What with the Ori breathing down our throats and all.

Ya normally I wouldn't mind this kind of episode, but this is supposed to be the 3rd to last episode of the series? Seriously thats just dumb...
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Sep 25th 2006, 1:10 PM
Post #22

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Sep 25th 2006, 6:50 PM) *

Ya normally I wouldn't mind this kind of episode, but this is supposed to be the 3rd to last episode of the series? Seriously thats just dumb...

The writers know that this episode is close to the end of the series. The fact that they chose not to cancel this episode after the cancellation news means that they plan to continue the franchise after SG-1 is over.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Sep 25th 2006, 1:15 PM
Post #23

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Sep 25th 2006, 2:10 PM) *

The writers know that this episode is close to the end of the series. The fact that they chose not to cancel this episode after the cancellation news means that they plan to continue the franchise after SG-1 is over.

Or they could be trying to show something about how this crisis with the Ori is being dealt with behind the scenes on Earth, giving it a more personal connection and ending...
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Sep 25th 2006, 1:23 PM
Post #24

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Sep 25th 2006, 9:15 PM) *

Or they could be trying to show something about how this crisis with the Ori is being dealt with behind the scenes on Earth, giving it a more personal connection and ending...

Yes, that could also be true. This can make the ending much better than a sudden non-sense. Both of our opinions may be true, since the producers of the show have repeated many times that the end of SG-1 is not the end of the franchise. They can choose to defeat only the Ori soldiers in our galaxy at the end, and continue with their revenge and return in a new spin-off.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 20th 2014 - 9:18 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.