Rating  5
Spacen
post Sep 24th 2003, 11:41 AM
Post #25

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105

The kid reminded me of Jackson. He was a nerd, but he could keep up with Teal'c.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
glom
post Nov 2nd 2003, 3:38 PM
Post #26

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,673

The whole Bedrosian/Optrican thing was kinda clever. I especially liked the way if you splice the to beliefs together, you get the real story. I didn't like the costumes or weapons. It seems that all advanced weapons are actually inferior to Tau'ri weapons in terms of effectiveness. It's okay in the case of the Goa'uld because it was explained that their weapons are used to intimidate, not kill. But in this case, their weapons should have been designed to be effective.

It was a shame they forgot about Nyan. He's never seen again, despite the fact he was supposed to be Daniel's assistant.
+Quote Post
stargatesweetie
post Jan 11th 2004, 2:12 PM
Post #27

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 846

I didn't really rate this episode, the whole, "SG-1 are spies" just didn't seem right, the story seemed "strained". Though I did like the fact that one of the faction's whole belief system would be blown out of the water with the finding of the Stargate. In my opinion a weaker episode.
+Quote Post
WMCoolmon
post Jan 27th 2004, 1:21 AM
Post #28

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,031

Yeah, that part could have been done a bit better. I don't think anybody believed the commander.

By the way, did anybody else notice the Sam/Jack love theme was used when Nyan and Teal'c were in the cave? wink.gif
+Quote Post
Apis
post Feb 15th 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #29

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

user posted image
Above is a picture of the Stargate from "New Ground". I feel that the type of rock that it is enclosed in is an inconsistency.

Firstly, notice that the Stargate really is only a couple of feet below the surface of the stone (you can see grass above the gate). Well the way that rocks form is different than the show seems to have led us to believe; I mean the Stargate would have been buried over a period of thousands of years (probably not more as the Goa'uld would have been using it in the last couple mellennia). Anyways, as the gate was buried the sediments would gradually compress into sandstone and then into harder and harder forms of rock. So, it is obvious that the rock that is covering the Stargate is far more dense than it should be (the only way that I could see rock being located that close to the top soil would be if an old mountain range had worn away; the Stargate, however, could not have been buried under a mountain range as that would take millions of years to do this process and the Stargate would only have had been there for a couple thousand).

So howcome the Stargate was buried in stone in this episode when it shouldn't have been in reality?
+Quote Post
odie_63
post Feb 15th 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #30

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE (Apis @ Feb 15 2004, 12:27 AM)
Anyways, as the gate was buried the sediments would gradually compress into sandstone and then into harder and harder forms of rock...
...So howcome the Stargate was buried in stone in this episode when it shouldn't have been in reality?

Nyan explains at the beginning that the stargate was buried during a period of upheaval that occurred about 2000 years ago. He describes it as 'A period of violent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions...'
So maybe the rocks we see are lava rocks, in that case their density is more or less correct and the stargate was buried during some lava flows.

+Quote Post
shizznizzlebit
post Feb 15th 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #31

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,140

I have to agree that the Bedrosian commander seemed a bit unbelievable. Maybe if they covered a little bit of his past (like in a conversation with that female officer) to explain his attitude.

A thing that could've made it even a classic episode was if they showed how the commander could've been O'Neill. [In the movie, O'Neill is suicidal. If it weren't for his sarcasm and lightheartedness, he probably would've shot himself or become blind to reality.]

However, the crazy NCO aside, New Ground showed some interesting things about the human condition. Both the Optricans and the Bedrosians are right, but they refuse that their neighbor's opinion has any value. Sounds like the situation in the middle east. (Christianity and Islam are religions for the same god, but people do not like change or people who 'defy' them, especially when in comes to things such as religion and existence)

Also, SSG Ret mentioned how a good number of scientists are narrow-minded and military personnel are open to new things. I believe that (much like the two nations in the episode), both these points are valid. There is no true answer to how scientists and military people generally act. I believe that the word sterotype should only be needed when to point how people label eachother. No offense intended to anyone (if it did).

And no, I did not notice the reuse of the Sam/Jack love theme. Not that I would recognize it anyway (I usually focus on the events, not the music).

Also, I don't know sh_t about rocks (except they hurt when they hit your head! bangin.gif )

This post has been edited by shizznizzlebit: Feb 15th 2004, 11:50 PM
+Quote Post
Apis
post Feb 16th 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #32

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE (odie_63 @ Feb 15 2004, 03:48 AM)
Nyan explains at the beginning that the stargate was buried during a period of upheaval that occurred about 2000 years ago. He describes it as 'A period of violent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions...'
So maybe the rocks we see are lava rocks, in that case their density is more or less correct and the stargate was buried during some lava flows.

Okay, I don't recall hearing this in that episode; but I'll take your word for it as I probably just forgot about it.

Anyways, your post splits my next arguement into two branches:

1)If the Stargate was buried well than the molten lava would cover the ground over the Stargate and cool there; so the Stargate still should have been surrounded by soil which would still take thousands of years to turn into rock.

2)If the Stargate was not properly buried and the lava washed away the surrounding soil. While this would effectively justify my above post it still leaves unanswered questions:

I mean, Lava is extremely dense and is extremely hot. So if it was able to wash away the soil around the Stargate; howcome the gate wasn't knocked over by the rush of lava? Also, the Lava would have been hot enough to melt the stone base that all offworld gates are standing in; so even if the gate wasn't knocked over by a rush of lava; it would have fallen over by itself due to a lack of support.
+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post Apr 23rd 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #33

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

QUOTE (SSG Ret @ Sep 23 2003, 10:06 AM)
I did not catch that, I will have to watch it again. I remember him shooting two people but I don't remember him shooting someone twice.

he only shot them once to knock them out for a while.
+Quote Post
WMCoolmon
post Jun 13th 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #34

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,031

It seems everone missed a glaringly obvious inconsistency at the start of the episode. A chisel comes into view, chipping away the last bits of rocks on the planet to reveal...the Earth point of origin? ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 12th 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #35

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

Yep, this was the "jack in the box" episode...sorry, had to say it! 

LoL! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

While the idea for this story is a good one, it just wasn't that interesting for me. Poor Teal'c going blind...O'Neill, Carter and Daniel stuck in those cages? What, were those cages ment for 5 year olds? (obviously not, they're just funny lookin' ok?) Did anyony notice whether the bases of the cages were metal as well cause wouldn't that have electricuted them as well?
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 12th 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #36

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE (shizznizzlebit @ Feb 15th 2004, 11:42 PM)
Also, I don't know sh_t about rocks (except they hurt when they hit your head! bangin.gif )

Oh, me, too, a rock is a rock is a rock.
I just liked Jack saying "You know that come in peace thing? Bite me!" Best part of the show. Well, that and Daniel in a cage, but that's just me being shallow whistling.gif
+Quote Post
BrandonTheGreat
post Jan 13th 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #37

Unregistered

This episode was an anti-religion episode. They didn't like each others beliefs so they kill each other. This episode was probably one of the most serious in season 3,
+Quote Post
cvvrede
post Feb 11th 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #38

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,767

I agree, very serious. I thought the concept looked a little like
Click for Spoiler
. There were some diffirences but both were about the religions on the stargate and they got SG-1 into trouble. It wasn't one of my favourites. I think episodes need a little fun.
+Quote Post
ClampenShaften
post Mar 2nd 2005, 8:57 AM
Post #39

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,227

nah i agree not a good episode, but it was really interesting.
+Quote Post
Spineshank
post Sep 1st 2005, 2:00 PM
Post #40

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,951

QUOTE(Metel Setek Noximus @ Sep 20th 2003, 10:00 PM)
OK......Did anyone else notice that the kid told Teal'c to stun not kill, then the next thing the kid did was shoot someone twice with a Zat??????

Noximus

Yeah i thought that too, i think it might have been an audio mistake either that or nobody told him two shots killed. I cant remember if Teal'c explained the gun to him or not.
+Quote Post
Spineshank
post Sep 1st 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #41

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,951

Had anyone played the PC game Starcraft here? The Bedrosians reminded me a lot of the Terran race which is the human race but their technology just seemed lke they took it right out of the game. Anyone else see the similarity?
+Quote Post
SGCforever
post Feb 20th 2006, 8:33 AM
Post #42

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,990

This episode kind of took me off gaurd. I don't know why but I really didn't care for this one as much. Maybe it's just because of stupid characters that can't see what's right in front of their face, and still totally deny the entire thing. He was probably the only character in that whole camp that thought the stargate was a "trick". It just bugs me when I see people who aren't willing to see two sides of the story. This episode reminded me of the Demons one where there's one guy who dictates what goes on and the beliefs they should be following. Oh well, the special effects were amazing in this one, but still the story line of this could have been a little better.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24th 2014 - 10:43 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.